Awarded the design prize of the Innovation Contest, Jardins Jardin, Paris 2016
Pôle IAR – Industries and BioRessources, Laon
BatLab du CoDEM, Construction Fab Lab, Amiens
The Companions of Duty, Muizon
The Companions of Duty, Institute for advanced studies in roofing, Paris
Jardins jardin, garden fair in Paris
Eco Technilin, nonwoven fabrics based on vegetable fibres, Yvetot
FRD, R&D in fibres, Troyes
Research in the domain of building and construction has led to engineers, architects and chemists developing new solutions to limit the environmental impact of constructions. In this way, through new material, it is a way of obtaining new energetic capacities, of conceiving new relations with urbanism, while building upon our local resources, with high added value for our territories.
The Champagne-Ardenne region is one of the greatest hemp producers of all our regions. In collaboration with very active local bio chemistry networks (Champagne-Ardenne/ Picardy) the project aims to develop new composites for constructors, tested on reduced architectural prototypes. This has resulted in simultaneous research with a local flagship training organisation: the maison des Compagnons du Devoir de Muizon (The Companions of Duty of Muizon) which is the national centre for training carpenters. The collaboration aims to define new lines of carpentry, through questioning the use of digital methods with a manual approach, an essential expression of the practice and the savoir-faire of craft.
Through the design of small prefabricated architecture, with an easily industrialised aspect, the project is organised into two research lines in perfect correlation. The first line of inquiry aims to develop a range of solutions for finishing in order to propose new products that have a low environmental impact. Working closely with the industry actors of biosourced material, most notably Eco Technilin, the objective is to respond, through an innovative product, to the needs of certain companies in the sector who are looking for applications. These elements will bring new visual and mechanic qualities, notably allowing the reduction of the roof load, which will have an effect on the carpenter’s work.
The second line of research is the creation of a pre fabricated structure, made in collaboration with apprentice carpenters from the training centre of Compagnons du Devoir de Muizon (The Companions of Duty of Muizon). This structure highlights all the carpenter’s techniques, respecting the training cycle of the Compagnons, while simultaneously defining new intersections between new technologies and traditional approaches.
The challenge for the project lies in the organisation of its network, and in the definition of new links in research and development and also in production. With the support of the IAR hub (whose mission is the development and the promotion of biochemistry for use with industrial applications) and the CODEM (the national fablab dedicated to construction solutions made from agri-materials), we have an innovative technical expertise that is connected to the traditional approaches of craftspeople. The finality of the research results in a micro architectural prototype, which ensures the promotional mobility of the project.
This project was awarded the design prize of the Innovation Contest, Jardins Jardin, Paris 2016.
• May – July 2015: Setting up a partnership with the Compagnons du Devoir et développement de la charpente (Companions of Duty and the development of carpentry).
• September – December: Prospecting partners, organising projects among the main stakeholders in the vegetal and bio chemical industry, from the Champagne-Ardenne-Picardy network.
• 20 October: 1st workshop with the Compagnons du Devoir, in Muizon.
• January – March 2016: Completion of designs and model cabin and tiles.
• 17 February: 2nd Workshop with the Compagnons du Devoir, in Muizon.
• March: Making of the framework by trainees of the Professional Training of Compagnons du Devoir, in Muizon.
• April: Manufacturing of tiles in the CODEM Batlab and manufacturing ironmongery.
• June: Presentation of the prototype in Jardins Jardin, in Jardin des Tuileries in Paris.
POP-UP in vegetal folly
• Exhibition at the event Jardins Jardin, Paris / 02-05 June 2016
• Submission of the drawings to the national office for patent and trademark
• Exhibition at the Chamber of Commerce and Industry of Reims / 16 June – 12 July 2016
• Leaflet Folie Végétale